Want a project added?

Important information about BOINC Games
Stony666

Re: Want a project added?

Post by Stony666 »

Hello all,

I would like to see private gfn servers in the BG. As many projects as possible that are also in Formula Boinc should be in the BG. I also see it that everyone should decide for himself what he calculates. The less common projects - FB versus BG - there are, the less you can participate in both events in parallel.

Regards Jörg
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

I talked to the project admin for Private GFN. He was okay with us adding it to the competition and said it could handle a Sprint load as well so it's eligible for sprints also.
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Stony666 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:25 am Hello all,

I would like to see private gfn servers in the BG. As many projects as possible that are also in Formula Boinc should be in the BG. I also see it that everyone should decide for himself what he calculates. The less common projects - FB versus BG - there are, the less you can participate in both events in parallel.

Regards Jörg
I thought the point of BG is to NOT be like Formula Boinc.

And yay...another Russian project :(
Last edited by bluestang on Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

No Vote???? :o :o :o :o

there's still work
??? :?: :idea: :idea: :?: ;)
Coleslaw

Post by Coleslaw »

Stony666 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:25 am Hello all,

Regards Jörg
Well..you see... Formula-BOINC has a history of doing whatever it wants regardless of how it effects projects. Not all of them wanted added nor appreciated the extra attention. Most admins don't like surprise flooding of their servers and possibly take the entire project offline for multiple days on end. Many teams never asked to be included either. Rankings and standings can very well effect how teams are portrayed and cost them potential new members or even cause old member to leave thinking they are part of a sinking ship. My point here is that just because FB did something doesn't mean it was done right or done well. FB also ignored members suggestions for years. It wasn't until recently that they made any real efforts to correct the major problems it had. Many of us feel it is too little too late and we would prefer a different platform. Not just a clone.

I for one believe projects should give consent BEFORE being added. This is what we did with the DC-Vault years ago so that projects didn't get blind sided. This is also what BG admin is trying to do as well from my understanding. Project admins should know what their project can handle and therefore make their own decisions.
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Exactly, very well said!
Keith Myers

Post by Keith Myers »

I'd like to see Asteroids@home added as a possible Sprint now that they are back stable with brand new server kit.
Ken_g6

Post by Ken_g6 »

Asteroids runs out of work periodically, or so it seems. But there are a number of other projects that seem like they might have potential for sprints. Projects that:

- Seem to consistently have work (but I've not been following most of them very long)
- Don't use too much RAM
- Don't take more than two days per task
- Aren't Russian that I can see

Any reason these aren't included?

Ramanujan Machine
LHC@Home - Work too intermittent?
Milkyway - It's CPU only now, but is that a problem?
Moo! Wrapper
PrimeGrid - :mrgreen:
yoyo@home - ECM uses too much RAM, but they have other projects now, right?
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm Ramanujan Machine
This might be a good candidate. It seems to always have work and I think their hardware and network infrastructure can handle it.
Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm LHC@Home - Work too intermittent?
Doesn't always have work. Also one of the sub projects requires VBox which is always an issue and uses a ton of resources to do this.
Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm Milkyway - It's CPU only now, but is that a problem?
It was removed recently because the project went AWOL with sending out "first task" WUs and not sending the "second task" or "wingmen" tasks to validate them. I believe this has been resolved now as it took a lot of time for all the work to get returned before it got to the wingmen tasks.
Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pmMoo! Wrapper
Just a quick search from 2019 FB Sprint for Moo! Wrapper shows nothing but headaches.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/20 ... 079/page-9

I don't think anything new has changed at that project, thus I never added it. If it couldn't handle it in 2019 then it surely can't handle the more powerful hardware todays crunchers use. This is of course, assuming Moo! Wrapper is still using the same server hardware and network infrastructure which I am sure it is.
Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm PrimeGrid - :mrgreen:
This could be added. The reason I never did is because PG already runs PG Challenges throughout the year which helps give subprojects that need the extra boost the boost it needs. Running an outside competition would just result in people running the project with the highest PPD which might not be a project that needs any extra boost.
Ken_g6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm yoyo@home - ECM uses too much RAM, but they have other projects now, right?
This project might have other projects, but it simply can't handle a Sprint. Just as recently as the Pentathlon last year when only ECM and ECM P2 was eligible, both projects of which require a long run time and don't allow many tasks per host. The project could barely handle this load with tons of errors and problems that the admins of the project just blamed the users configurations.

I suspect running a Sprint on this, even with the low RAM requirement subproject would cause the project to buckle and not be pleasant for those participating.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.