2023 Sprint Dates & Names

Important information about BOINC Games
Skillz

2023 Sprint Dates & Names

Post by Skillz »

Need 6 dates for 2023 to be selected as Sprints. This year I selected the Australian Open, Super Bowl (NFL), World Surf League, NBA Finals, European Sports Championship, FIFA World Cup as the dates and names of the Sprints.

Dates I would like to avoid.
Prime Grid Challenge series dates.
Seti-Germany Pentathlon.
Seti-Germany WCG Birthday Race.

So give me some significant sport dates and we'll see which ones we can use.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
bluestang

Re: 2023 Sprint Dates & Names

Post by bluestang »

Not much of a Sports buff and didn't look up dates of events you wanted to avoid...

-- Super Bowl or Daytona 500 in Feb
-- NBA Finals
-- Hockey has the Stanley Cup Finals
-- Baseball World Series?
-- one of the major Horse Races?

Not much help, but better than nothing lol.
Mardis

Post by Mardis »

Formula 1 and the World Rally Championship have races almost all year long, so they might help fill in some gaps.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... r6dqg.html

https://www.wrc.com/en/championship/calendar/wrc/
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

bluestang wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:27 am Not much of a Sports buff and didn't look up dates of events you wanted to avoid...

-- Super Bowl or Daytona 500 in Feb
-- NBA Finals
-- Hockey has the Stanley Cup Finals
-- Baseball World Series?
-- one of the major Horse Races?

Not much help, but better than nothing lol.
I was hoping to find something that doesn't happen in February to replace the Super Bowl sprint I had this year. So as to not intefere with the Tour de Prime month at Primegrid, but it looks like I'll end having to.
Mardis wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:26 pm Formula 1 and the World Rally Championship have races almost all year long, so they might help fill in some gaps.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... r6dqg.html

https://www.wrc.com/en/championship/calendar/wrc/
None of those races, to my knowledge, are "significant" like a championship game/race or a tournament that doesn't last for long durations. In the event of tournaments. Which makes me think I might do the March Madness "Final Four" days as a Sprint.

Like the ideas so far guys, keep them coming.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SaM

Post by SaM »

Some more ideas

Jan 27-29 Extreme Sports Winter X Games 27 Aspen, Colorado, USA
Feb 4 - Mar 18 Rugby Six Nations UK, Ireland, France & Italy
Feb 6-19 Skiing Alpine World Ski Championships Courchevel-Méribel, France
Feb 9 - Mar 26 Cricket World Cup India
Apr 6-9 Golf Masters Augusta, Georgia, USA
Apr 15 - May 1 Snooker World Snooker Championship Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England
May 6 Horse Racing Kentucky Derby Louisville, Kentucky, US
May 22-28 Table Tennis World Championship Durban, South Africa
May 28 Auto Racing Indianapolis 500 Indianapolis, USA
Jul 1-23 Cycling Tour de France France
Jul 3-16 Tennis Wimbledon London, England
Jul 14-30 Swimming World Aquatics Championships Fukuoka, Japan
Jul 28 - Aug 6 Netball Netball World Cup Cape Town, South Africa
Aug 3-13 Cycling UCI Cycling World Championships Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Aug 10-20 Sailing World Championships The Hauge, Netherlands
Sep 3-10 Rowing World Rowing Championships Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 8 - Oct 28 Rugby World Cup (men) France
Nov 7 Horse Racing Melbourne Cup Victoria, Australia
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

SaM wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:34 pm Some more ideas

Jan 27-29 Extreme Sports Winter X Games 27 Aspen, Colorado, USA
Feb 4 - Mar 18 Rugby Six Nations UK, Ireland, France & Italy
Feb 6-19 Skiing Alpine World Ski Championships Courchevel-Méribel, France
Feb 9 - Mar 26 Cricket World Cup India
Apr 6-9 Golf Masters Augusta, Georgia, USA
Apr 15 - May 1 Snooker World Snooker Championship Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England
May 6 Horse Racing Kentucky Derby Louisville, Kentucky, US
May 22-28 Table Tennis World Championship Durban, South Africa
May 28 Auto Racing Indianapolis 500 Indianapolis, USA
Jul 1-23 Cycling Tour de France France
Jul 3-16 Tennis Wimbledon London, England
Jul 14-30 Swimming World Aquatics Championships Fukuoka, Japan
Jul 28 - Aug 6 Netball Netball World Cup Cape Town, South Africa
Aug 3-13 Cycling UCI Cycling World Championships Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Aug 10-20 Sailing World Championships The Hauge, Netherlands
Sep 3-10 Rowing World Rowing Championships Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 8 - Oct 28 Rugby World Cup (men) France
Nov 7 Horse Racing Melbourne Cup Victoria, Australia
Love the list! 8-)
Coleslaw

Post by Coleslaw »

It may be a bit late, but I personally don't think everything should tip toe around PrimeGrid. They have so many events which they don't really take into consideration anyone else's events that it should be ok to overlap a few. Especially when they are running an event for an entire month in February. People can choose their priorities for themselves. That is part of the strategy in many of these challenges. Deciding where to split their resources. I know TAAT likes to focus on PG events but that really shouldn't force everyone else to cater to PG. I don't mind catering to SETI.Germany's events as they tend to be the same dates every year and they only have a few events over that time.
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

Coleslaw wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:30 pm It may be a bit late, but I personally don't think everything should tip toe around PrimeGrid. They have so many events which they don't really take into consideration anyone else's events that it should be ok to overlap a few. Especially when they are running an event for an entire month in February. People can choose their priorities for themselves. That is part of the strategy in many of these challenges. Deciding where to split their resources. I know TAAT likes to focus on PG events but that really shouldn't force everyone else to cater to PG. I don't mind catering to SETI.Germany's events as they tend to be the same dates every year and they only have a few events over that time.
Very good points and easier for me to pick some dates without having to cross reference everything. I only avoided the Pentathlon and WCG Birthday Race intentionally. Not sure if the other dates will interfere with any of the PG challenges other than the Tour de Primes in Feb.

I also used all of SaM's suggestions since he had the names and dates all laid out nice and pretty for me to copy/paste into the system. The times of those days were just picked at random. No idea if they're the actual starting or end time of the particular events. IMHO, the actual time isn't as important as the dates.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The 6 Sprints have been setup for this year.
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Good suggestions all around. Well done.

Soooooooooo much better than 24 Sprints!
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

Next year I'm gonna see about getting a system setup to where the points for sprints will be different for the duration. So a 3 day sprint will be worth less points than a 5 day sprint, so on an so forth. Similar to how Prime Grid does their Challenge Series.

I also want to change up the points for individuals. Instead of the top 10 getting points, maybe the top 50 getting points with different point weight than that of the team points. So users will show up on the rankings more.

But that'll be a ways out before I get that implemented. Just want to see how well it runs this year without me having to babysit the site all the time. So far, so good. *knocks on wood*