New BG Points System

Important information about BOINC Games
NOSNHOP

Re: New BG Points System

Post by NOSNHOP »

Also, as a data guy, the new points structure doesn't even make sense, why would moving from 19th to 18th be rewarded the same as moving from 10th to 9th? Why even reward so many positions?

I'm a millennial and this looks like giving a trophy to everyone even to me. There are several projects that returning one WU would grant 270 points, what a joke it makes it all.
Skillz

Re: New BG Points System

Post by Skillz »

NOSNHOP wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:42 am No one is saying the 25 points scale shouldn't have been inflated to be the new max of 375 to make Q1 whole, but computational resources decisions made on the previous point structure.... We've spent 2.5 months of electricity bills chasing points that were scaled by the old method, and benefits to match, only to be rewarded with something different. I do believe that is literally the definition of a "Bait 'n Switch"
In order to incorporate a point scaling of 100 positions 25 points wasn't going to cut it. I borrowed Primegrids point system from their team based points for a 1-day Sprint to be used here for the marathons and for now, the sprints.

The site is in beta. I've tried my best to make this clear as much as I possibly can. I will do better to ensure that everyone knows the site is still a work-in-progress.

NOSNHOP wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 am Also, as a data guy, the new points structure doesn't even make sense, why would moving from 19th to 18th be rewarded the same as moving from 10th to 9th? Why even reward so many positions?

I'm a millennial and this looks like giving a trophy to everyone even to me. There are several projects that returning one WU would grant 270 points, what a joke it makes it all.
Because in order for everyone to have a legit position on here the points need to be extended to beyond just the top 10. Yes, this is basically a "giving a trophy to everyone" in that this is just a fun competition. It doesn't matter how little or how big your computational power is, you can get points and compare it to those who are around your rank. The only real winners here are the projects with whom receives the extra hardware on their studies.

Because moving from 19th to 9th is worth 75 points now.

You got a better point system for 1 - 100 ranks (teams) and 1 - 300 ranks (individuals)? I'd be interested to see them.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.