Email notifications from a spammer?

Problems related to boincgames.com
CPID Validation?
UBT - Timbo

Email notifications from a spammer?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Anyone else getting lots of notifications today about postings on the forum here?

I've had 10 emails from "nasrin @ mindlabssys.in" that they replied to my posts.

Maybe a spammer slipped through and registered here?

regards
Tim

(Admin: Please remove/edit if this has been dealt with).
boincadmin
Site Admin

Re: Email notifications from a spammer?

Post by boincadmin »

Haven't seen anything of the like. No spammers, a few slipped in last month but there were deleted before making any posts or even logging in. I just checked the user list again and all the new members since then are legit, unless Spammers are now making a BOINC account, getting their CPID and using it here to make them look real.

I know their has been issues with emails being sent for a while now. I am wondering if those are just old notifications that finally got fixed/pushed through the queue?
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi

Thanks for the message.

On further inspection, these email notifications have date stamps from the BG forum from 16th February until 20th February 2023 and then one from 1st April 2023.

So, your suggestion that these could be old notifications that have (at last) been sent out is probably correct.

But it does seem strange that an apparently Indian domain name (for their email address) would be causing these notifications to be sent in the first instance, although the time stamps do correspond to other members replies in three different forum threads.

And in the second instance, why does it take 3 months for these to be sent? Maybe an email server "blockage in the pipework" somewhere?

It'll be interesting to see if any other forum member received the same email notifications?

I've saved the full header (for each email) and I'll check to see what IP addresses were in the header to see where they originated from. :-)

regards and thanks
Tim
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

It's for some reason from the company I hired to build the web site.
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

boincadmin wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:48 pm It's for some reason from the company I hired to build the web site.
Hiya

Ah - ok, so that would be "MindLabs Systems Pvt Ltd" who are using the "boinc.mindmockups.com" domain to send out these emails.

At least then it can be traced back to a known (legitimate) source. And questions can be asked perhaps?

regards and thanks
Tim
boincadmin
Site Admin

Post by boincadmin »

I've given up on them. I haven't contacted them in many months now because they can't get it right. Kiska has done a better job at fixing stuff around here than they have. Sad part is he has little to no experience with PHP and MySQL and they're supposedly a company that specializes in it. Go figure.

Most of the progress here has grinded to a halt. I need to get some money saved up, find another programmer that can fix the other stuff as well as add new features and I need to get the new server ChelseaOilman sent me setup, configured, and shipped to the datacenter for hosting.
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

boincadmin wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 pm I've given up on them. I haven't contacted them in many months now because they can't get it right. Kiska has done a better job at fixing stuff around here than they have. Sad part is he has little to no experience with PHP and MySQL and they're supposedly a company that specializes in it. Go figure.

Most of the progress here has grinded to a halt. I need to get some money saved up, find another programmer that can fix the other stuff as well as add new features and I need to get the new server ChelseaOilman sent me setup, configured, and shipped to the datacenter for hosting.
Hiya

I appreciate the feedback.

I had a similar problem a while back with the UBT forum, that was setup by one of our team members on a dedicated .com domain he had bought. All was well until he went AWOL and I couldn't update the forum to the newer more secure versions of phpBB.

Luckily I had some admin priviliges to the forum (but not the hosting server) so I backed up the forum and then copied over the files and then tried to set it up on the team domain name (.org.uk) that I had setup.

I failed to get it running correctly (as I have no php/MySQL experience) but I had a guardian angel recommended to me, who helped me massively to both "tweak" some of the database and get the forum updated to a much newer version.

Apart from a couple of niggles, every now and then (that were soon sorted out), it is running fine now and has been for a few years now.

I would suggest you put out a message to your members and see if anyone can suggest someone (or at least repeat your request to others) to give you the assistance you need.

regards
Tim