Opt out button

Got a suggestion or tip for the site? Let us know.
Coleslaw

Opt out button

Post by Coleslaw »

Since there is a requirement for individuals to opt into BOINCGames, there should probably be an easy opt out button as well. I personally think people should need to opt in yearly to show interest because if someone were to say pass away, then their account would forever be "participating" even if their contribution is zilch. This would also mean that people would need to actively care about participating every year and not just enough to join the first time. This could be one way to encourage them to actually be somewhat active.
Skillz

Re: Opt out button

Post by Skillz »

This is supposed to already be implemented. Each year users are supposed to have to opt in to participate. There is not an ability to manually opt out during the year though. I will add that to the list of features.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
xii5ku

Post by xii5ku »

The [Opt Out] button exists now on the My Account page. If I use it, will an [Opt In] button appear at the same page? And if so, can I toggle from opted-out to opted-in as often as I want throughout the year?
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

In theory, yes. That's how it's supposed to work.

When you opt out and work you've done from that point on will not count towards BG. This also includes any work you've done BEFORE you've clicked it, but where the projects have not updated their stats.xml file and BG hasn't pulled those stats to add them to BG.

When you opt in work will pick up from there so anything you do AFTER this will go towards BG.

If this isn't working, which I think I know why you're going to try, then please let us know so I can pass it along to the development person KenG6.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
xii5ku

Post by xii5ku »

Thanks! I think I will give this feature a try after the April Boinc Games sprint.

I guess the opt-in process would be like this: Member opts in --> for each project : { BG waits the project to update its stats export file --> BG takes the first update as the member's baseline since opt-in --> project exports its next update (and BG imports it) --> member gets first credit for the respective project since the opt-in }. Right? ... As a test, I might pick one of the projects which validate and export with suitably low latency and watch both the opt-out and the opt-in process.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Yes, in theory that's how the system is supposed to work.

When you opt out. Whatever points you earned previously is frozen.
When BG gets the new stats.xml file, it doesn't add anything more to your account.
When you opt in.
BG will grab the stats.xml file and get your current overall credits. This is the "starting point."
When BG grabs the next updated stats.xml file it gathers the difference from the previous pull and that's your BG points for that update.
It repeats that process until you opt out again.