is New BG Points System fair?

Got a suggestion or tip for the site? Let us know.
SystemViper

Re: is New BG Points System fair?

Post by SystemViper »

I just want to apologize to Ian & Steve and this community.
I was out of line with my responses, it was unprofessional of me and is the wrong way to try to start a conversation.

SV
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

This is me speaking and I only represent me,

Well chips starting to fall, it's very hard for me to be involved with a competition which forces teams and members to run programs which we do not support or which I feel irrelevant based on the programs goals.
So based on the advice of a spokesman for BG I have chosen to opt out of competition on the BG site.
I have done this because I feel the new points system is unfair and goes against the basic idea of you crunch what you believe in.

To have any chance of being competitive I would have to get more hardware and run most/all programs.
I crunch to support science that I feel is valuable and not programs that a gaming site forces me to run in order to be competitive on their platform, it's that simple.

So I have opted out of the competition.

What is a simple definition of competition? From EB
1. [noncount] a : the act or process of trying to get or win something (such as a prize or a higher level of success) that someone else is also trying to get or win : the act or process of competing. The school fosters an atmosphere of competition rather than cooperation.

- I refuse to change my values in order to conform to a competition that doesn't allow me to chose what I want to run and still be competitive.

- I refuse to run in a competition that "holds me back" as stated by a BG representative.

- Since the attitude of BG as stated is "no one is forcing you to do anything. compete or not, it makes no difference."
so my "no difference" is to opt out.

- I accept that the Russia programs is a personal choice, so I pushed thru that decision to allow all "Russian" projects even though I didn't want to support them, but in doing so I had to go against my beliefs to be competitive.
I tried to balance that situation with rationalizations and still run some Russian projects if it could help me be competitive. Well it's time to put that problem to bed. I choose to NOT run ANY russian projects. Period.
Ahh that felt good, so another reason to "opt out" with this games site (BG) if you don't run every project you can't compete, so it's time to stop competing here and get back to my core, FUCK russia!

If a games site like BG is fostering a event that forces people to choose between their beliefs, crunching goals and hinders their ability to be competitive, there is only one solution.

I look forward to when more members understand what is really happening but I also believe that BG management is trying to put out the best product and has shown excellent effort in that way but just saying that they are trying to differentiate themselves from the FB and thing that is a positive, sometimes just being different isn't a positive.

Well I'll keep watching BG but I said my peace. I will try hard to have any reasonable conversation without being "Triggered" for life is a evolution and growth is necessary.

Bionic Games "Being the best at being Mediocre"
avatar_151_1579079252.png (14.85 KiB) Viewed 46820 times
SV
AnnualDeepAcornweevil-max-1mb.gif
AnnualDeepAcornweevil-max-1mb.gif (42.42 KiB) Viewed 46820 times
istockphoto-1384811204-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-1384811204-612x612.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 46820 times
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Sorry that you have to be first or win at everything to have fun.

Enjoy your future endeavors.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Skillz wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:27 pm Sorry that you have to be first or win at everything to have fun.

Enjoy your future endeavors.
Common @skillz you know better than that.

I am a small fish in this pond, when am I ever first, my goal is to be in the top 10 and support my team in the marathon. No need to always win.

But I won't play a game that is rigged against my beliefs and forces me to run programs that I do not support.

We'll really see how long this "Mediocre" points system lasts and once other teams realize that to compete they have to do the same thing, I feel that will rule the day.

and don't worry about me having fun, there are other ways to do that without trying to compete is a supposed competitive event that is designed to "holds me back" because I like running projects that I support.

But thanks for your efforts, you have done a great job here and it's sad that I have to "opt out" but I'm not gone.
Regards
SV
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Considering a Team member went from 5th (if memory serves correctly) place in User Standings to ~23rd place after the points change, can't imagine why they are no longer participating in BG now. Especially after it was mentioned that positions would most likely stay the same after the change lol.
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

what "gaming site" are you referring to?

i still don't think you understand that no one "forces" you to do anything. if you don't want to contribute to whatever project you are under no obligation to. it's 100% your own decision.

i don't see how you are not already competitive your team is in the top 5 and miles ahead of those in the back. how is that not competitive? lol. you're literally 0.2 points behind 3rd place.

the rules here are not what holds me or anyone back. that's another reach and twisting of words. the ONLY thing holding me back is my OWN decision to not run projects that I don't care about. same goes for you. the difference is that most of us are able to accept and cope with that.

it's not that serious. I agree with Skillz that you don't need to be first to be competitive or to feel validated.

Last edited by Ian&Steve C. on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

I'm pretty sure the usual suspects would complain no matter what, because being disagreeable tends to give the brain some reward signals. Ah, another hit of righteous indignation! Keep it coming!

Let's be real, this isn't about fairness. It's simply about what you personally want, and ample justifications can be fabricated after the fact for just about any position.

I gotta admit, I will miss the drama a little bit if you gentle people leave.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

what "gaming site" are you referring to?

hey Ianandsteve

lets address the points system and not confuse the issues again.

"Boinc Games" seems like they might be a gaming site or their mis representing their brand?

SV
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

crashtech wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:01 pm I'm pretty sure the usual suspects would complain no matter what, because being disagreeable tends to give the brain some reward signals. Ah, another hit of righteous indignation! Keep it coming!

Let's be real, this isn't about fairness. It's simply about what you personally want, and ample justifications can be fabricated after the fact for just about any position.

100% disagree it is about "Competition"

yes if you choose to follow the points format and be competitive, keywords "be competitive"
You have to run all the programs even if you don't support them or feel they are not the goal for which you crunch.
by doing this you take the real reasons that most people crunch and tell then that to play you have to stop doing that.

to me it was well stated.
- I refuse to run in a competition that "holds me back" from the real reasons I crunch.

SV
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

SystemViper wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm
crashtech wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:01 pm I'm pretty sure the usual suspects would complain no matter what, because being disagreeable tends to give the brain some reward signals. Ah, another hit of righteous indignation! Keep it coming!

100% disagree it is about "Competition"

yes if you choose to follow the points format and be competitive, keywords "be competitive"
You have to run all the programs even if you don't support them or feel they are not the goal for which you crunch.
by doing this you take the real reasons that most people crunch and tell then that to play you have to stop doing that.

to me it was well stated.
- I refuse to run in a competition that "holds me back" from the real reasons I crunch.

SV
I'm gonna miss you if you go, Steve! <3