Running a Russian Sprint, WTF

Grab a beer and let's chit chat.
UBT - Timbo

Re: Running a Russian Sprint, WTF

Post by UBT - Timbo »

SystemViper wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:12 pm Is there a definitive list of all russian projects, that might be helpful to me at least.

thanks
SV
Hi

The list I was working from includes the following (who have some/most/all Russian "involvement") is:

Gerasim
ODLK
ODLK1 (aka latinsquares)
Parlea@home
PRIVATE GFN SERVER
Rakesearch
SiDock

and now I guess I should add: Amicable Numbers

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coleslaw

Post by Coleslaw »

Where does the research for Amicable Numbers go to? What affiliation? I know the admin is part of the Russian Team but also has his location as Sweden.

Other than the domain used, what is the affiliation of Private GFN Server?
Coleslaw

Post by Coleslaw »

Well.. BOINC.ru lists Amicable as a Russian project so that pretty much sums that up. However, it is an "independent" project so not sure if that means anything other than someone's hobby. I still don't know what use we have for these pairs.

As far as GFN Private Server, it is a Russian domain and the project admin is Russian. However, I believe he also one of two Russian admins at PrimeGrid. PrimeGrid's owner is Lithuanian but the admins just don't talk politics there. It is lose/lose for them regardless where they stand on the subject. So, the question here is.... do you really see a problem with their test server and are you also going to stop supporting projects that also have Russian devs? If so, you might want to avoid BOINC as they have IIRC one or more Russians involved...
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Coleslaw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:13 pm Well.. BOINC.ru lists Amicable as a Russian project so that pretty much sums that up. However, it is an "independent" project so not sure if that means anything other than someone's hobby. I still don't know what use we have for these pairs.

As far as GFN Private Server, it is a Russian domain and the project admin is Russian. However, I believe he also one of two Russian admins at PrimeGrid. PrimeGrid's owner is Lithuanian but the admins just don't talk politics there. It is lose/lose for them regardless where they stand on the subject. So, the question here is.... do you really see a problem with their test server and are you also going to stop supporting projects that also have Russian devs? If so, you might want to avoid BOINC as they have IIRC one or more Russians involved...
Hi

Thanks for the extra investigative work !!

At the end of the day, I think it is down to personal choice as to which project people want to donate resources towards...although it would be beneficial to all, if each project actually listed (in the public domain) who was administering the project and which organisation (and/or individuals) was benefitting from all of our collective (and freely donated) computing power.

Then choices can be made by one and all.

But it is a great shame that research/science can get mixed up with politics and in this case, the invasion of a sovereign country by some malevolent dictator who cares nothing for human life. :-(

However, in our small way, we can and should make a stand against the oppressor and their countrymen, and support the innocent people who are suffering as a result of this war.

regards
Tim
BeemerBiker

Post by BeemerBiker »

I just discovered this thread and read that the following projects are Russian.

Code: Select all

Gerasim
ODLK
ODLK1 (aka latinsquares)
Parlea@home
PRIVATE GFN SERVER
Rakesearch
SiDock
Amicable Numbers
I am not sure what "are Russian" means. If the server is in Russia I will not be running the project. I stopped running Russian projects in December when I was a victim of identity theft and was unaware that sidock was hosted in Russia. I have used the Sam Spade app to identify web site that I had concerns about but it is outdated and did not provide any indication of where the site was hosted.
https://stateson.net/images/sidock-info.png