Running a Russian Sprint, WTF

Grab a beer and let's chit chat.
SystemViper

Running a Russian Sprint, WTF

Post by SystemViper »

Hey I didn't complain when you added all the Russian projects.
I took a lot of flack for even running them from my team.
IT'S RUSSIAN, WTF?

But a sprint, the most high profile events and your using a Russian Project?
Maybe this isn't for me anymore, I guess your just trying to appease everyone?

Where did the real TAAT go?

Confused and disappointed!
SystemViper

NOSNHOP

Re: Running a Russian Sprint, WTF

Post by NOSNHOP »

Agreed, I'm sitting this one out.
Legitimately it's Ruzzian Federal employees running the backend of SiDock, while the scientists are Slovenian.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

The list of eligible projects have been listed on the Sprints page since the beginning. I don't choose which project is selected as the Sprint, the server does.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

interesting non answer, So you support all Russian projects?

that's a yes or no answer?

thanks
SV
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

I agree in principle about not running Russian-backed projects. not that I ever ran SiDock before anyway. but the "other" competition has russian projects too for sprints *shrug*. I don't see the same calls to remove the projects from that comp, so it seems unfair to call out BG for that or paint them having it on the list is malicious.

but will reinforce what Skillz wrote, the sprint project selection is automated and random. it is not chosen by a person and it is not known to anyone ahead of time so there is no inherent bias in whatever project gets selected. This is the way it should be IMO.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

SystemViper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:38 pm interesting non answer, So you support all Russian projects?

thanks
SV
I'm just going to speak for myself here, but until we are at actual war with Russia, I will treat Russian projects on a case-by-case basis just as I would treat Russian citizens on a case-by-case basis as well, also taking into account how propagandized the Russian population is, even more than US citizens.

Sidock is a medical research project that doesn't seem to pose an obvious security threat, so my choice is to go ahead and run it in solidarity with the scientific community, who largely do not support war. I can do that while abhorring their government's horrific invasion of Ukraine.

There's also the problem of a dwindling amount of projects, and of the projects still alive, many cannot support any kind of challenge. So for a DC fanatic like me, that would seem to indicate that we might not have the luxury of being so choosy to make some kind of little point that probably no one is going to notice.

I support your right to disagree, in fact I expect it. But I hope you won't decide to hate me for it.
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Some nice input there guys.

I don't think anyone is questioning how it is picked or the method.

However, I always thought the point of BG was to be different and better than FB? Like not having so many Sprints (good work Skillz!), so why not limit the Marathon Projects ran?

(Although I noticed FB is copying some of BG's ideas like Individual Stats and Standings lol)

As far as whether something is a medical research project or something else...doesn't matter to me as there is no way the Kremlin doesn't have an eye on everything (including this medical research) just waiting for a reason to take control of it so they can use it to their advantage.

That's is why I chose to stop running Russian projects, the Kremlin controls or has a hand in everything. I'm not taking the chance of contributing to something that can possibly be used by them in some way or another.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Yea I chose last year to NOT run any Russian projects.
I did break my spirit in 23 to help the team and try to stay close in the top 10 of indy points, but I always felt bad even running them, so to be true to me, i'll stop running all russian projects.

The thing that bothers me is that it kinda makes BG a non event "for me" which is not what I wanted. Since BG chooses to run Russian projects I'll deal with that, but what's the sense in participating if it means that I can't compete with people who can gain the advantage in BG by running Russian projects. Hope that makes sense.

I'll chew on it a bit but might just go pack to hitting milestones, dunno since this was a knee jerk response to a russian project being chosen on the Main Event.

Just a thought
SV
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

SystemViper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:38 pm interesting non answer, So you support all Russian projects?

thanks
SV
I do not support the Russian Government. This has always been my view even before they invaded Ukraine recently. It's not the first time they've invaded them or another county this century mind you. Back in 2014 they took control of Crimea, or what about Syria, or North Caucasus, but I am sure you had no beef with running Russian projects between 2014 and their recent invasion of invading Ukraine, right? :roll:

I'm not here to discuss what's going on with the world. I tinker with BOINC, I watch Sports games, I play Video Games, I do all of these things to distract me from the real world. It's a way for me to just not think about what's happened or what's going to happen and just focus on my hobbies, like I am sure everyone else who does those things.

If you don't want to run/crunch a Russian based project; then don't. I'm not here to argue what's right or what's wrong.
bluestang wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:08 pm However, I always thought the point of BG was to be different and better than FB? Like not having so many Sprints (good work Skillz!), so why not limit the Marathon Projects ran?
There are some things that Formula-BOINC does that's good. Running ALL projects IS the reason for running competitions on ALL projects. In my mind, the "scientific" purpose of running competitions on projects is so that projects which are less known, or people who might be less willing to run will run those projects for a competition. Omitting them would essentially not help that.
bluestang wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:08 pm (Although I noticed FB is copying some of BG's ideas like Individual Stats and Standings lol)
I noticed that too. Good on them.

SystemViper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:27 pm The thing that bothers me is that it kinda makes BG a non event "for me" which is not what I wanted. Since BG chooses to run Russian projects I'll deal with that, but what's the sense in participating if it means that I can't compete with people who can gain the advantage in BG by running Russian projects. Hope that makes sense.
The same argument could be said for those who only wish to participate in medical related projects, or physic's based projects, or any other projects that they wouldn't normally run due to their personal preferences.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Well I guess that's that, your not interested in what's going on in the world and your can't tell if a russian project is a russian project. I wasn't running boinc in 2014 so I can't answer any of those questions. I also have relatives in Poland, Slovakia and the Czech republic, so this is a little more to me. But if you choose to run Russian while they are trying to exterminate a people and just play your games, being a American I support your right to do so.

SV