Change point system mid-year or

Subscribe to this forum so you can be notified through your registered email address for any polls regarding BOINC Games

Change the points system now?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Yes, change the points system now so everyone can get points.
89%
No, wait till next year to make the change.
11%

Total votes: 18

boincadmin
Site Admin

Change point system mid-year or

Post by boincadmin »

Keep in mind this site is still in BETA. Thanks to everyone who has joined up and participated in this fun little ride until we get this site working in a good fashion that's enjoyable by everyone.

With that being said I have a major change I want to implement here soon.

Changing the points system.

What I am going to do is change the rankings to where the top 100 teams will earn points and the top 300 users will earn points for the individual standings.

While I don't think making the change will change the ranks much, if at all. It will, however, increase the amount of points everyone (and every team) gets based on their position. Instead of a points system that rewards the top 10 teams on 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 1 points for position 1 - 10 respectively the points will be scaled much, much higher to accommodate 100 teams earning points.

So for example, 1st place will get 375 points, 2nd place will get 360 points, then 345, 333.8, 322.5, 311.3 so on and so forth until position 100 will get .8 points respectively for teams.

Individuals will be much higher where 1st will get 1,000, 2nd 933.3, 3rd 866.7, 4th 816.7, so on and so forth until position 300 gets 6.7 points respectively for individual standings.

I feel this will make it way more interesting for everyone on BG as they'll be able to compete with the group of people near their scores.

This change will happen for the 2024 year, but I can do it now. This is what the poll is about.

I don't want to make the change mid-year for those of you who are competing this year and it possibly change up the ranks discouraging you from continuing. We did a small test of this on the dev site (using smaller values, but top 25 as can be seen here https://dev2.kiska.pw/standings.php (Keep in mind that database is not as up-to-date as the live site here).

So if everyone is okay with making this change now, we will begin working on it in the coming days/weeks until we get it sorted.
Skillz

Re: Change point system mid-year or

Post by Skillz »

The points rewarded for each placement will be as follows: (Can't post them here, the list is too long)

Teams: https://www.boincgames.com/points/Teams.html
Users/Individuals: https://www.boincgames.com/points/Users.html

You can see the points you'll earn for being in 1st through 100th place for teams.
You can see the points you'll earn for being in 1st through 300th place for individuals.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
bluestang

Post by bluestang »

Sprints points handled the same way?
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Initially, yes. But I plan to assign different weights to the ranks for sprints depending on the length of the sprint. IE: A 5 day sprint will give more points for the same rank vs a 3 day sprint for example.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
kiska

Post by kiska »

I have implemented this change to the dev site located here:

https://dev2.kiska.pw/index.php

Critique :D
Contact

Post by Contact »

I have no choice but to like this change because BOINC Synergy squeezed into the top 10. :mrgreen: