is New BG Points System fair?

Got a suggestion or tip for the site? Let us know.
SystemViper

is New BG Points System fair?

Post by SystemViper »

Is New BG Points System fair?

Does it foster competition and for who?

or does it promote mediocrity and discourage some members from even using BG?

SV
crashtech

Re: is New BG Points System fair?

Post by crashtech »

Nevermind.
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

Yes it's fair. the same rules are applied to everyone. everyone is playing the same game. no one has any inherent or unfair advantage.

It fosters competition in the way that it was designed to. It encourages and rewards contribution to more projects. contributing less to more projects is favored over contributing at a high level on only a few (just look at my ranks lol). this differentiates it from other comps which largely rewards focusing power on a single project for a short time. it's a different kind of competition and I think that is exactly what was intended with BG.

how does it foster "mediocrity"? the only people who would be discouraged would be people who only want to compete in the way FB and Pent and other short term comps compete. but those people are playing the wrong game at BG, imo. Kind of like a basketball player complaining that he can't use his hands in soccer(football).
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Ye if you look it for 10 seconds you might say that but there is a fundamental difference between the old points system and this new points system and who it serves or includes and who it excludes, you talk about it.

you say...
It encourages and rewards contribution to more projects.
but I say at who's expense? and who does it exclude? is excluding members the way to move forward or is it going backwards?

you say
this differentiates it from other comps which largely rewards focusing power on a single project for a short time.

So is it all about competition and not about supporting the projects that you prefer, can someone really compete here and still stay true to the projects they support, I think the answer to that is a resounding no. Why would you force people to run every project, isn't that a fundamental shift and it does exclude any members who don't support all the programs. is that a good thing?

Your forcing a new way to compete without addressing the needs of a lot of members. how is that good, you solve nothing but shift the hurt to "on average" the most productive crunchers and give it to members OR TEAMS who don't hardly crunch at all. Is that fair? So who is this competition for when it excludes the most productive?

I like supporting most projects but i can't expect to compete because of this points change, plus I know a bunch of members that feel the same way. If you weren't a TAAT member would you even bother being here?

Enjoy
SV

Ian&Steve C. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:20 pm Yes it's fair. the same rules are applied to everyone. everyone is playing the same game. no one has any inherent or unfair advantage.

It fosters competition in the way that it was designed to. It encourages and rewards contribution to more projects. contributing less to more projects is favored over contributing at a high level on only a few (just look at my ranks lol). this differentiates it from other comps which largely rewards focusing power on a single project for a short time. it's a different kind of competition and I think that is exactly what was intended with BG.

how does it foster "mediocrity"? the only people who would be discouraged would be people who only want to compete in the way FB and Pent and other short term comps compete. but those people are playing the wrong game at BG, imo. Kind of like a basketball player complaining that he can't use his hands in soccer(football).
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

Honestly your post comes across like you’re complaining because the competition isn’t what you want it to be. But that doesn’t make it unfair. The rules can’t be bent to what you think favors your (or anyone’s) personal way of competing. And it sounds very entitled to suggest that.

It’s a different competition and will require you to compete in a different way. If you don’t want to, well then that’s your own choice. Everyone is still free to do whatever they want. Just like you’re free to crunch one WU on Russian projects to get yourself on the board and earn points despite very vocal objections to crunching them. But hey, you’re playing the game and prioritizing an online competition over your previously stated ideals.

I’m not sure if you were using the general “you” when saying “if you weren’t a member of TAAT”, but I am not a member of TAAT, I am on GPUUG. And this change hurt me and my team’s rankings more than it did to you. I still think the change is for the better and more in line with the goals of this competition.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

yea I was waiting for you to play that "if you don't like it, go away" bull.
That says a lot in itself.

Is it entitled that I know what is going on in my life and can tell someone how the changes affect me?
especially without the take it and leave it attitude, kinda sounds like your projecting on me your POV.

You can't tell me a change is good when it affects some members negatively, is it just me, I heard it from other people too, so i'll tell them you told me it's this way or the highway!

thanks
SV
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Last edited by SystemViper on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

I see it as promoting " being the best at being Mediocre" and this is why.

What is a simple definition of competition?
1. [noncount] a : the act or process of trying to get or win something (such as a prize or a higher level of success) that someone else is also trying to get or win : the act or process of competing. The school fosters an atmosphere of competition rather than cooperation.

Isn't the whole point of a competition being in the top 10, if not 1st?
The "Ole" way it used to be worth it to be the top spot to get the 7 points , that had some real weight.
It also fostered competition for the top 10 spots, isn't that what competition is?
This points system doesn't reward being in the top 10 anymore, so what kind of a real competition is it, what is the overall goal to come here, what are you competing for.

Is it BG's goal to foster competition, to get more people crunching, what is the goal of this site, something different?
well you scored that...
You have a scoring that promotes " being the best at being Mediocre"

not the best strategy
SV
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

y
Last edited by SystemViper on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

-
Last edited by SystemViper on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.