is New BG Points System fair?

Got a suggestion or tip for the site? Let us know.
SystemViper

Re: is New BG Points System fair?

Post by SystemViper »

So are you saying that the new points system isn't bias against Mr. I like to choose my projects?
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

The new point system rewards participation far more than the previous point system.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Amazing you can't even be direct, i guess you have to manage the spin!

Don't need anymore info, you have answered my question.

Plus this says it all...
Skillz wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:00 pm
NOSNHOP wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:42 am No one is saying the 25 points scale shouldn't have been inflated to be the new max of 375 to make Q1 whole, but computational resources decisions made on the previous point structure.... We've spent 2.5 months of electricity bills chasing points that were scaled by the old method, and benefits to match, only to be rewarded with something different. I do believe that is literally the definition of a "Bait 'n Switch"
NOSNHOP wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 am Also, as a data guy, the new points structure doesn't even make sense, why would moving from 19th to 18th be rewarded the same as moving from 10th to 9th? Why even reward so many positions?

I'm a millennial and this looks like giving a trophy to everyone even to me. There are several projects that returning one WU would grant 270 points, what a joke it makes it all.
Yes, this is basically a "giving a trophy to everyone" in that this is just a fun competition. It doesn't matter how little or how big your computational power is, you can get points and compare it to those who are around your rank. The only real winners here are the projects with whom receives the extra hardware on their studies.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

SystemViper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Yes, this is basically a "giving a trophy to everyone" in that this is just a fun competition. It doesn't matter how little or how big your computational power is, you can get points and compare it to those who are around your rank. The only real winners here are the projects with whom receives the extra hardware on their studies.

Yes, shame on me for making a competition that everyone can compete in.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Why you playin the martyr, I thought BETA ment trying new things and talking to your base to test and comment.

I found something i didn't like and tried to get you to understand my position,
I have earned that, you think?

But all you do is give me shit and take it like I'm just being negative.
At least I made my point ;)
*** the new points system is bias against Mr. I like to choose my projects,
no matter what other comentart you add after that it'd just the fact.
and
we agree - Yes, there are a lot of people who only want to run a select few projects.

with this last statement i now understand why your don't care, it's because your building a system around fun not competition.

I couldn't resist... :lol:
The only real winners here are the projects with whom receives the extra hardware on their studies.

avatar_151_1645894767.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 74885 times
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

SystemViper wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:31 pm
Ian&Steve C. wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:25 pm think about the old system hypothetically, logically. say you had two teams, A and B. Team A contributes to all projects but a small contribution that puts them in 11th place on all. now say Team B contributes to only one project but in 10th place. In the old system, Team B would be ranked higher overall by contributing to only 1 project. That's not the kind of competition that Skillz wants to run, so giving everyone some points for lower ranks helps even it out for teams ranked below 10, but with a wider variety overall.
Well at least you're talking about the points system, i will respond to that later.
I wish I could say that I'm surprised you never intended to actually respond to this.

no amount of deflection, hand waving, straw mans, ad hominem, or repeating the same incorrect statements over and over will make your position any more valid.

"the only real winners are the projects" - news flash, that's the whole point of BOINC...
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Ian&Steve C. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm.
No problem my "heldBack" brother in arms, unless you have a point related to the points system I'll pass commenting on your word salad.

Enjoy your day
SV
istockphoto-1384811204-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-1384811204-612x612.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 74875 times
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

SystemViper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:19 pm Why you playin the martyr, I thought BETA ment trying new things and talking to your base to test and comment.

and
we agree - Yes, there are a lot of people who only want to run a select few projects.

with this last statement i now understand why your don't care, it's because your building a system around fun not competition.

The only real winners here are the projects with whom receives the extra hardware on their studies.

Steve, you have no argument. The only thing you've done since I changed the point scale is complain and cry that YOU can't compete. When in fact, that is not true. You CAN compete in the new system just as much as you can compete in the last system. You just want to be able to run a handful of projects that you believe in (Nothing at all wrong with this) and expect to be overall ranked higher than those who do choose to run more projects. THAT is not fair to them. The whole old system was unfair towards anyone who couldn't achieve the top 10. You just refuse to accept this fact and think that only the top 10 should matter. Because it effects you directly and that's why you are upset over it.

Are the points not right? Probably so, but they will be adjusted and changed to suite this particular competition. What will not change is the fact that the top 300 individuals will be getting points and the top 100 teams will be getting points.*

*This system is based around the idea that there will be at least 300 or more individuals using the site and at least 100 teams using the site. While the 300 members is probably an easier goal, getting 100 teams to join is probably a feat that wont be possible. If that's the case, then the top XX teams will get points based on how many teams have actually signed up to participate.

So what I should have said is, what will NOT change is that ONLY the top 10 will be rewarded with points.

It hurts me that you keep wanting to argue with this and you can't see the real purpose of extending the point system beyond the top 10. I'm not arguing with this anymore. Tired of writing things explaining it to you and you just ignoring it all, but merely taking clips of it and twisting the words to fit your narrative.

SystemViper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:56 pm
Ian&Steve C. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm.
No problem my "heldBack" brother in arms, unless you have a point related to the points system I'll pass commenting on your word salad.

Enjoy your day
SV

istockphoto-1384811204-612x612.jpg
Clearly you didn't read what he said, because what he quoted was a question regarding the point system that you seem to avoid.
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

SystemViper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:56 pm

Enjoy your day
SV
I literally quoted you saying that I had addressed the point system with this example and you would respond later. but it's clear you never intended to and it was just a stall and deflect tactic to avoid having to face it. you gave Skillz the same excuse.

Enjoying my day
Ian
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

Yes it's my choice to go where I want, but your system is...

I get my fun from being able to compete is a system that is a real competition and
doesn't have a built in bias, it's that simple.

The rest is stated as plain as i can do below.

Enjoy
SV
SystemViper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:19 pm Why you playin the martyr, I thought BETA ment trying new things and talking to your base to test and comment.

and