New BG Points System

Important information about BOINC Games
Skillz

New BG Points System

Post by Skillz »

We are in the process of changing the point system to include the top 100 teams and top 300 users.

If you see any issues or conflicts with the points being incorrect then please post here so we can look into it.

This is an ongoing change and hasn't been finalized yet.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
SystemViper

Re: New BG Points System , why not wait till the beginning of the next quarter

Post by SystemViper »

Hey, Don't you think it would have been better and a bit fairer to make this radical change to the points system at the beginning of the next quarter in less than 10 days?

We have been competing under the old system all Q1? and it ends in 10 days??? Why now?

Position and points matter so changing the points before the quarter ends is like changing the goal posts late in the 4th quarter, i just don't get this move.

Especially since it only 10 days off, that seem very strange?
It definitely affects position, rankings and strategy, personal and team, that affects goals and choices.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't wait for an oblivious ttransistioin moment that makes real sense
rather than in the stretch run of Q1

SV
Skivelitis2

Re: New BG Points System

Post by Skivelitis2 »

As I understand it, Q1 stats will be affected regardless of when the transition occurs. Otherwise the year end standings etc. will be skewed by two different point systems.

Use the developmental site (which has already implemented the changes) to plan strategy until the migration is complete.
SystemViper

Post by SystemViper »

so it's that simple is it?
kiska

Post by kiska »

SystemViper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:03 am I just don't understand why you wouldn't wait for an oblivious ttransistioin moment that makes real sense
I'll say my bits, I am not a web dev guy, I am just a freight handler.
When I looked at the stuff the dev team that Skillz hired to make this site, there was some deficiencies with how long it took to load, that was an easy enough fix when I located the issue.

The points system though, is a different issue to solve. Regardless of whether I changed it now or on 1st of April 2023 it'll change the yearly results. Its just the way the backend has been made, and changing it isn't an easy fix and whilst it would be possible, this isn't my full time job and I only have minutes here and there to spend my time in a development environment.
Most of the values are hardcoded in and changing it now or not won't really make a difference.

Also we did have a poll on this located here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41
Last edited by kiska on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kiska

Post by kiska »

Skivelitis2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:42 pm As I understand it, Q1 stats will be affected regardless of when the transition occurs. Otherwise the year end standings etc. will be skewed by two different point systems.

Use the developmental site (which has already implemented the changes) to plan strategy until the migration is complete.
The migration is complete as far as I know, so no need to use dev site, its only there for me to gather feedback on whenever I have changed something
Ian&Steve C.

Post by Ian&Steve C. »

Skivelitis2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:42 pm As I understand it, Q1 stats will be affected regardless of when the transition occurs. Otherwise the year end standings etc. will be skewed by two different point systems.

exactly this.
waiting for a "transition" point and not having it be retroactive would skew the overall ranking so much to where the Q1 points and ranks don't matter at all, since they are so much less pre-change than post. that would be worse. making it retroactive is the only fair/logical way, and that means it doesn't matter if the change is before or after the quarter.

but also, the site makes it clear on the home page that it's in beta testing phase. changes/improvements are to be expected along the way.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

Is the complaint against the new system only in regards to the timing of the change, or of the changes themselves? In regards to timing, that's simply an inevitable consequence of refining a beta project. I hope participants were aware of the possibility of problems and/or changes to the current arrangement, I guess if anyone wasn't aware before, they will be now.
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

SystemViper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:03 am Hey, Don't you think it would have been better and a bit fairer to make this radical change to the points system at the beginning of the next quarter in less than 10 days?

We have been competing under the old system all Q1? and it ends in 10 days??? Why now?

Position and points matter so changing the points before the quarter ends is like changing the goal posts late in the 4th quarter, i just don't get this move.

Especially since it only 10 days off, that seem very strange?
It definitely affects position, rankings and strategy, personal and team, that affects goals and choices.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't wait for an oblivious ttransistioin moment that makes real sense

SV
As has been said. The points were gonna change for Q1 regardless of when it was changed.

Also, #1 on the old system earned 25 points while #1 on the new system earns 375 points. That would have been completely pointless to miss-match Q1 with the old points system and Q2+ with the new system.
Do not send me PMs. The PM system here doesn't notify like it's supposed. Contact me through Discord (link at top) or post in the forums here. I check those regularly. At least until I figure out the PM notification problem.
NOSNHOP

Post by NOSNHOP »

No one is saying the 25 points scale shouldn't have been inflated to be the new max of 375 to make Q1 whole, but computational resources decisions made on the previous point structure.... We've spent 2.5 months of electricity bills chasing points that were scaled by the old method, and benefits to match, only to be rewarded with something different. I do believe that is literally the definition of a "Bait 'n Switch"